For most laptops and tablets using Windows 8 and Windows RT, sleep is the default shutdown mode. You may change this setting to help conserve power.
To change the default shutdown option
1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Search. (If using a mouse, move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen, then navigate to and click Search).
2. Enter Power, tap or click Settings, then tap or click Power options.
3. Do one of the following:
- If using a desktop or tablet, tap or click Choose what the power button does, then under Power button settings, select the preferred option, and tap or click Save changes.
- If using a laptop, tap or click Choose what closing the lid does. Next to When I close the lid, choose the preferred options for both battery and plugged in, then tap or click Save changes.
To power off your PC completely
1. Close any open applications; this may prompt you to save your work.
2.1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tapSettings. (If using a mouse, move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen, then navigate to and clickSettings).
3. Tap or click Power, then tap or click Shut down.
Keywords: shut, down, power, windows 8, windows rt, sleep