Slow system response with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
This fix applies to the following Intel server boards:
S3420GP, S5500BC, S5500HCV, S5500WB, S5520HC, S5520UR, S5520SC, and SC5650SCWS.
Description of issue:
Server responds slowly after Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 is installed. If the operating system installation will not complete, skip to step 3.
- System login is very slow
- Keyboard and mouse are slow to respond
- Task manager shows high CPU usage
The DPC (Deferred Procedure Calls) rate increases until the system slows and is not usable.
- Update the system BIOS to the latest version.
- Change the PCI AER Support setting in BIOS to Disable before installing the operating system. This setting is found in BIOS > Advanced > PCI Configuration.
- Connect the network ports to a network, switch, or connect both end of the network cable to different ports on the same system before the operating system loads the embedded NIC driver.
- Once the operating system install completes, download the latest network drivers.